Saturday, March 01, 2008

"The shortest answer is doing the thing."

English writer George Herbert died March 1, 1633.

My sister and I were just talking about how when your superior at the office asks you to do something and their description and instructions actually take up more time than if they were to have simply done the stupid thing in the first place. People can be so inefficient. I am not sure this is to what Mr. Herbert is referring, but it is what I took from the quote.

Bill Carlson died early Friday evening. This is kind of sad for me because I grew up watching Channel 4 - Dave Moore, Bud Kraehling, Pat Miles. I always thought, and still think, that the other channels are cheesy. My grandma always watched channel 4, too. I am nostalgic about things I relate with my childhood (our yellow VW bug, those tall glass bottles of pop, Kangaroo sneakers), but I am especially sentimental when things remind me of my grandma. I remember the day five or six years ago when I was talking to her on the phone. She asked me if I had seen Bill Carlson lately, because she hardly recognized him. He was doing the noon news but had gone away for a spell and returned with a new look (thanks to a little plastic surgery). Gram didn't understand why someone would alter their looks, but "to each his own".

No comments: